Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Just wondering. I finally have court for temporary orders…

Customer Question
Just wondering. I finally...

Just wondering. I finally have court for temporary orders after filing for divorce. I have left marital home with my 3 children due to alcohol abuse. He now is seeking the home and joint custody... just wondering what his chances are in getting the house. He claims I alienated the kids even tho he had visitations every other weekend and has not been interested in helping with their daily needs and activities at all

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I filed for divorce on the 23rd of Jan after he threaded physical violence against one of my girls

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

UTAH

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I file for protective orders which were denied, he kept me from sleeping, eating and feeling safe so I had to leave the home...

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
4/4/2018
Family Lawyer: S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney replied 3 months ago
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney
Have you asked for a protection or restraining order? You can get temporary orders in such an order and established and he has committed domestic violence. While you did not mention any physical violence you did say that he threatened violence. Threats of violence are a form of domestic violence yes. And if you are able to prove either the domestic violence for the alcohol abuse, it is unlikely that he could get substantial portions of custody. Custody and visitation are based on the children's best interests stop. Their best interest requires them to be safe, and the courts recognize that an addict and domestic violence do not put children in a safe situation. If you can establish concern about alcoholism, you can ask for alcohol testing and an order that he not be allowed to drink alcohol.