Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I petitioned for divorce in Texas. June 2016 my ex signed a…

I petitioned for divorce...

I petitioned for divorce in Texas. June 2016 my ex signed a waiver of service and we decided to put the divorce on hold. Much more has come to light since then about his adultrey he is in Louisiana living with a 20 something since we were still going through marriage counseling and he was with her long before that. Neither of us are in a rush to divorce but with her living there does she have any claim to our property and are his raised etc after the petition still taken into account?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in TX family court?

Yes I petitioned for divorce he received the papers via waiver of service. We are going to draw up the terms together but it seems strange to me he is in no rush other than he has agreed to keep health, dental, eye and prescription insurance for me at the same level as well as with my being disabled keeping me in a life I'm accustomed to for the rest of my life. With the option to move anywhere in the USA or Canada, I was born Canadian.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texas but he is living in Louisiana he changed his address, I know she has her own address but lives with him and I have proof they have been together since we were still together. Someone told me I'm just giving him time to hide things. But it seems he is giving me everything. Ihave no knowledge of any finances other than the income he tells me. He pays the Bill's on the house and cars and vet Bill's and kids med Bill's and even some of mine

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes when he asked me to marry him way back he brought me to the states we got pregnant in Canada, he let me fall in love with his oldest three kids and I found out the kids weren't with their birth mom while he was in Canada that he was married and had made me feel cornered that I had already promised the kids a mom. During the process of him leaving the kids and I had an adoption hearing with him where he consented to the adoption as I am/was his wife. He claims now the separation was before that

I forgot to add I have a notarized letter from when we were newlyweds saying I have full custody of the kids and can cross international borders whenever I want and he is to keep me in a life I've become accustomed to for the rest of my life. (Because I gave up my career advancement years to be an at home parent I made good money)
4/2/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

So help me here did you legally adopt his kids, are they over 18 now.Are you sure whether your divorce petition is still on file here.That would be the first step to see if you need to refile if you want a divorce.You both here are still accumulating community property, debts, etc.

Thank you sir, he was always very private about money other than I can spend it and he gives me a set amount every two weeks now. I have never in over a decade seen a w2, tax form or even our bills
I cannot afford that much more right now sorry. Biggest things I want to know, does his gf have rights to my assets now, can he hide money? And are their womens recourse centers I can get support during this process I am all alone here and disabled

The girlfriend here cannot claim anything he is still legally married to you.

It is time for you to consider a lawyer.Since you are still married here why not try to order back tax returns.

You can order returns here for prior years you want whole returns with W-2s etc.

Order credit report

You're entitled to one free copy of your credit report every 12 months from each of the three nationwide credit reporting companies. Order online from annualcreditreport.com, the only authorized website for free credit reports, or call 1-***-***-****. You will need to provide your name, address, social security number, and date of birth to verify your identity.

You need local divorce lawyer here, once you gather the information

Contact us by phone:(###) ###-####(Toll Free), Monday - Friday, CST, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The call-in service is closed on legal holidays.

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if he is a bigamist here, with separate lives.I could be wrong but I see this more than you might think.

The tax returns and credit reports will show you all bank accounts with balances, hidden assets, debts, etc.

I appreciate the chance to help you here.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Oh and could the divorce gone through without my knowledge? His mail recently started coming back here, I think he is using both addresses. Are you local sir? I did retain a lawyer but I am not sure if he is the way to go. I have not heard from his office much at all. And i asked about bigamy and felt dismissed
Absolutely 5 stars sir, I thought bigamy was illegal. There is much more to it I know how he misled me I know he did that to her

I only answer questions under terms of service,thanks for asking.I gave you lawyer referral above just in case.Stars at top of page.Good luck here, prayers to you.

sir. Thank you for your help that is much more knowledge than I had before I didnt know I had the right to look at those documents thank you sir. I had no idea.

You are so welcome, stars at top of page, thanks for 5 stars.

Sir you said I can request w2 and income tax forms here did you mean this website? What govt agency do I contact to get those things. You've given me more insight in 5 minutes than I've had in a couple years I'm concerned if bigamy is at hand what does that mean
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
to answer your previous question I adopted them as adults but we were told we needed to be married for it to happen so when I caught wind of the girlfriend I adopted them
Ray I'm sorry I brought my family down to scraps to pay for this service online I would much rather call but I do not have the money I am about to get another breast cancer screening because of issues and I cannot afford it today. But on payday I might be able to swing it
My mom just sent me money to call u I just need to grab a pen
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Managing Partner
Phone call session started

Ask anything you want here, save your money.

It won't let me update the phone number I punched it in wrong its(###) ###-####

You can just ask follow up here and save the call.Just rate when we are done.ASk away here.