Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in California and was married for 14 years. I have to…

Customer Question
I live in California...

I live in California and was married for 14 years. I have to pay alimony and in the court paper work it says til I die she dies or she is remarried. She has been living with a boyfriend for the past 7 years. Is there a way of getting out of having to pay her

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in CA family court?

No just want to know my rights before I move forward

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Family Law
4/2/2018
Family Lawyer: DanLegal, Divorce Lawyer replied 23 days ago
DanLegal
DanLegal, Divorce Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today - The answer to your question is yes, you can file a motion in court for "change of circumstance" and inform the court about the fact she is living with a boyfriend for 7 years and your alimony payments should be terminated or significantly reduced.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
What are the odds of getting it reduced or terminated and how do I prove they are bf and gf and he has lived there for 7 years.

You can file what are called "interrogatories" with the court and she will be mandated to answer them. Also, when you claim that in court the judge will inquire of her if she is living with a bf.

DanLegal
DanLegal
DanLegal, Divorce Lawyer