Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'd like to know if grandparents have legal rights to see…

Customer Question
I'd like to know...

I'd like to know if grandparents have legal rights to see their grandchildren

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Go to my house and now the mother just pulled my granddaughter away from me and is not allowing me to see her she's also using my granddaughter as a pawn not allowing my son to see her either

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just need to know what steps I need to take to see my granddaughter the mother is very being very uncooperative she's actually sending negative text messages and again she's using my granddaughter as a wedge as a pawn she's not allowing my son to see her and she's not allowing me to see her

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/2/2018
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Good afternoon. Under California law, a grandparent can ask the court for reasonable visitation with a grandchild. To give a grandparent reasonable visitation with a grandchild, the court has to:Find that there was a pre-existing relationship between grandparent and grandchild that has “engendered a bond.” This means that there is such a bond between grandparent and grandchild that visitation is in best interest of the grandchild.
AND
Balance the best interest of the child in having visitation with a grandparent with the rights of the parents to make decisions about their child.
In general, grandparents cannot file for visitation rights while the grandchild’s parents are married. But there are exceptions, like:The parents are living separately;
A parent’s whereabouts are unknown (and have been for at least a month);
One of the parents joins the grandparent’s petition for visitation;
The child does not live with either of his or her parents; or
The grandchild has been adopted by a stepparent.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!