Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Failure to pick up children per court order in Virginia? Not…

Failure to pick up...

Failure to pick up children per court order in Virginia?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in VA family court?

Not yet. Im planning to file and was told that he must not show before I can.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

I was told to check with legal aid assistance. I have family that will assist with paying

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

He has refused now to pick up the children. Is this not abandonment?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can we charge him with abandonment or can he charge us for not taking them all the way back to VA? We drove from NY and he is supposed to meet us New Milford, PA.

Still waiting. Was told 8 mints at 1609 hours. It is now 2038 hrs an stil no response. I’m already disappointed.
4/3/2018
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

Under Virginia law, that is not abandonment. Abandonment means not having any contact with a child for at least 6 months. Unfortunately, even if a non-custodial parent has been granted visitation time, a court cannot force them to actually do so, and a judge will not hold them in contempt for their failure to exercise their visitation rights. Repeatedly missing visitation can be grounds for a modification of the custody/visitation agreement and where a parent has had no contact with a child for at least 6 months, that may be grounds for a termination of their parental rights, though there must be a hearing on the matter, and that is something that is typically granted only in extreme cases.

Please let me know if I may clarify anything or provide you with additional information.

My question which I don’t not believe you have answered was he had refused to pick up the children to which he had primary physical custody.

Oh, I didn't see where you said he had physical custody. Give me a moment, please.

Please understand that a private citizen cannot charge anyone with a crime. Only the prosecutor's office can decide whether to charge someone. Potentially this could be charged as child neglect. What you could do is report the matter to police. I'm assuming you are the non-custodial parent? It sounds like you are going to file for emergency custody of the child? Given the circumstances, where the father is refusing to take custody, I cannot see a judge refusing to grant at least that pending a hearing on modification of the custody agreement.

He can report the matter to police, but you are not willfully denying him access to the child. He is the one who has made clear that he does not wish to take custody of his child. Again, I cannot see a prosecutor actually filing charges against you.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
I’m ready to talk when you are.

A different expert than me actually accepted that phone call request (the offers for the phone calls are submitted automatically by the website, outside of expert control and open to any available attorney who is online to take). I trust they should be calling you shortly if they have not already.