Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My granddaughters were taken last week, shelter hearing was…

Customer Question
My granddaughters were taken...

My granddaughters were taken last week, shelter hearing was today and parents were denied I have called twice now and am getting the run around where and how do I go about getting them until this is resolved? they are in Illinois and I reside in Mississippi but will move back if necessary

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in IL family court?

No clue where or how to start I have talked to the dcfs investigator Friday and tried twice today but no luck

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No I really don't have the money I always believed they would put them with family instead of the system

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Both my husband and I work we have a modest 3 bed 2 bath home and room for them we don't want to take them away just keep them out of the system. the mom has drug issues, my son has tried to get them but is not successful

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
4/3/2018
Family Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 4 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
I paid the fee but no response
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 4 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

If you are not getting cooperation from the DCFS investigator, you need to ask to speak to the supervisor/director of the agency and ask that the children be given to you instead of putting them in the DCFS system. If you still get runaround, then you would need to file Emergency Motion with the Circuit Court in the County where your grandkids resided before they were taken for Writ of Habeaus Corpus to force DCF to bring the children and for custody of the children. Click here for DCFS contact information.

You can contact the Clerk of the Circuit Court for the form and instructions. Click here to locate the Clerk's office.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.