Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am dealing with an ex who is not following our custody…

Customer Question
I am dealing with...

I am dealing with an ex who is not following our custody visitation schedule among other things. I am in Texas and my child is 11. Is she old enough to speak on her behalf? Her dad has her living with a verbally abusive grandmother.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in TX family court?

No, because the police refuse to enforce the current order. Plus there is the cost of getting a lawyer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
4/2/2018
Family Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney replied 2 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

Certainly she is old enough to offer an opinion - but that is just a general statement. If she was a teenager it would be a no-brainer but some 11 year olds are more articulate than others. If the police refuse to enforce the court order - and by that I'm presuming that you show up to get your child, he won't give her to you and if you call the police they say there's nothing they can do - you will need to go to the court and file a contempt motion against him for violating the court's order. It sounds more complicated than it is - the courts have an office/library that makes resources available to you if you run into trouble.

Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.