Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My step-daughter has been a part of my family since March…

Good morning, Lawyer's Assistant:...

Good morning,

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

My step-daughter has been a part of my family since March 1986. She holds a permanent residency card. She is now married but we both agree that I want to legally adopt her. Her mother and I are married and she is a Naturalized American Citizen. I am now 87 years old and in failing health. I am also a retired USN Officer. We reside in Florida. Please advise as to what is the quickest way to have this done. Sincerelyu

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

Not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, my daughter's husband does agree to this.

Answered in 1 hour by:
4/2/2018
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney

Hello, I’m here to help you today. I'm a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I'll review your question and be right back.

Sue

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Here are the instructions and form you'll need to begin the process for step-parent adoption of an adult in Florida. Here is the Consent by Adoptee form, and here is the Consent by Spouse of Adoptee, if your step-daughter is married.

Also, here is the Florida Courts website with information about Self-Help assistance the Court provides and other forms. You may want to take some time familiarizing yourself with these tools.

Do you have any questions based on the information I've provided?

Sue

I have to go off line for a while.

I'll check back in with you soon.

Sue

Did you find the forms and information I gave you helpful?

Sue

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. I hope I have provided you the information you were seeking. If you’re satisfied with my assistance, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help or have any further questions, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Sue

Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney