Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I HAVE A SON THAT TURN 18 YEARS OLD ON FEB 14 AND MY EX

Customer Question
I HAVE A SON...

I HAVE A SON THAT TURN 18 YEARS OLD ON FEB 14 AND MY EX HUSBAND DECIDE TO STOP PASSING CHILD SUPPORT BECAUSE OF THAT, BUT MY SON IS STILL AT SCHOOL AND IS ABOUT TO GRADUATE

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

HE TOLD ME THAT MY SON NEED TO LOOK FOR A JOB, BECAUSE HE IS NOT LONGER GIVING HIM MONEY THE DIVORCE WAS A MUTTUAL AGREETMENT AND HE OFFERED $700 MONTHLY THEN AFTER A YEAR HE LOWERED TO $600

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is he in?

FLORIDA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

ON DIVORCE PAPER THERE IS NOT DATE LINE OR DUE MONTH WHAT CAN I DO, DO I HAVE ANY RIGHT TO FIGHT FOR CHILD SUPPORT? I'M STILL PAYING FOR HIS TRANSPORTATION AND ALL THE EXPENSES COMMING UP DUE TO HIS GRADUATION.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
4/2/2018
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. The father is wrong in this situation. If your child has not graduated high school by his or her 18th birthday, child support will not end at 18, but instead will continue until graduation. 19 years old is the maximum age of a child in Florida for the parent to continue receiving child support. As such, he still owes support until your son graduates and if he refuses to pay, you can go after him for the money which is owed. If this was court ordered, you can take him back to court and seek to hold him in contempt of court for failing to pay and contact the State of Florida, who can go after him as well.

What's the next step I need to take from now

You can make a demand to him, that he pay or else advice you will have no choice but to take him back to court. You can retain a family law attorney or proceed on your own and go to court and file a motion to enforce the court order for child support. You can also go after him for the attorney fees, if he was ordered to pay and refuses.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!