Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My fiance is incarcerated. His son is in Cyfd custody. I…

Customer Question
My fiance is incarcerated...

My fiance is incarcerated. His son is in Cyfd custody. I have power of attorney and would like to know if the POA will help me help him from NOT loosing his parental rights.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

None yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is he in?

Nm

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Family Law
4/2/2018
Family Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 22 days ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Ok Thank you

Good evening,

No, a Power of Attorney (while they can vary in scope) allows you to manage the financial affairs of an individual -e.g., you can do things like pay their bills, deposit and withdraw money, file their taxes, open mail, and so forth. It wouldn't give you any ability to represent them or allow you to help them with something like you are describing.

That said, simply because a person is incarcerated does not automatically mean they will lose their parental rights. That is a very significant and final step that courts reluctantly and rarely take because whenever possible the courts want children to have a relationship with both parents. If he has been served with a motion to terminate his parental rights, you can help find him a lawyer on his behalf, make phone calls for him, etc., but you are going to be fairly limited in what you can otherwise do because he is the client.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
There is a TPR hearing scheduled on April 18th. He completed all required treatment plans for CYFD before he was arrested. I volunteered to also do treatment plan such as parenting counseling etc due to the fact we are a blended family. It's unfortunate that he was arrested and unknown when he will he released. Before the term his rights for being incarcerated I want to try to intervene and obtain GUARDIANSHIP and I am also appointed my fiance's power of attorney agent.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
He has an appointed lawyer this case has been ongoing for 2 years. His attorney seems to not want to work for him, he seems to side with Cyfd. TPR hearing was continued for April 18th. How can I intervene being I completed all needed requirements voluntarily.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
His son was placed in foster care from a hetrosexual home and is now living in a homosexual family! The baby has mentioned allegations of foster siblings supposedly touching him inappropriately. Since my fiance went to jail and held in a federal facility now, they really are just trying to proceed with our him, ignoring the true abuse that is happening. Have any civil rights been violated on this part only?

I'm sorry, something came up and I need to opt out as I will not be available. I am going to open your question back up so that the other experts online can assist you. Please wait to rate the answer until assisted by another expert. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
That is all we hear any where for the past 2 years
RobertJDFL, Lawyer