Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband is a Brazilian illegal here in the USA. He has…

Customer Question
My husband is a...

My husband is a Brazilian illegal here in the USA. He has three kids with his ex who has now moved back to Brazil. She is threatening to file for child support from him. However his mom has been the sole caretaker of all their children despite her being in Brazil and my husband stays at home to care for our small child while I work. I'm a physician. Will she be able to get child support although she doesn't care for her children in Brazil since she has sole custody granted while she was here in USA and will I have to pay her since he doesn't work given his illegal status here

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your husband taken? Have they filed any papers in Brazilian family court?

He hasn't done anything in regards ***** ***** children since the divorce and both of them sending all three children to live with his mom in Brazil. She threatening to file but hasn't yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?

I don't think so but she pretty vindictive and have been asking for money. I just want to know if it's possible and will I be responsible to pay her which I'm not really wanting to do.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Sure I'm ready

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Family Law
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Okay
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/2/2018
Family Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 21 days ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your family law and child support enforcement question to justanswer today.

Child support is something a mother or parent can file for in the US where resident here or in a foreign country such as Brazil if she is residing there.

Because of bilateral cooperation in the international enforcement of child support orders it can be possible for her to enforce her foreign order in the US by contacting the international office of child support in the US.

https://www.acf.hhs.gov/css/partners/international

Because child support is a parental obligation you can never be made personally liable for your husband's debts.

Arrears can accrue though and your husband may have to clear a back log in that case if he isn't currently working.

We are here to help so please follow up with me as required.

In return your positive rating is much appreciated.

I'm an independent legal expert and rely on your rating to get a credit for my time today.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated in this regard.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Family Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 18 days ago

Dear Customer ,

I would like to follow up on your legal question, do you need any further information ?

Just a reminder I rely on your positive feedback to get a credit for my time.

FIVE STARS or your rating gives me a credit for my time.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer