Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I brought my grandchildren, ages, 6,9 and 10 from Arkansas…

I brought my grandchildren...

I brought my grandchildren, ages, 6,9 and 10 from Arkansas to Texas without permission from their father, my son -in-law. I will be arrested for interference with child custody. My son- in-law is here in the states illegally. What happens next?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in AR family court?

No. I have a will, left to me by my daughter, granting me legal guardianship. She died and left this will. The will is in probate now, awaiting a judge's signature.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

Only you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I will be arrested and extradited to Arkansas this week. How soon before mt arrival in Arkansas and my court date?

4/2/2018
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Why did you take the children and leave, before custody/guardianship was ordered to you, by the court? Have the children been returned to the father?

My 9 y/o granddaughter told me " daddy beats us with belt and a stick". This is one reason. The other reason is my son-in-law is planning on taking the kids to Mexico when school is out this May and as he is illegal, he can not re-enter the U.S . My grandchildren will be in Mexico where I feel that it is dangerous for them and they do not speak Spanish.

Thank you for the reply. If he is abusing the child or children, the police and child services need to be called and he can be arrested and charged. The children can be removed from the home and you could try and take custody of them. Now, if you were charged and need to go before the Judge, you want to ask to be appointed the public defender, unless you can retain legal counsel and may need to fight this and show you took them to avoid the abuse and also try and show and argue that you had a legal right to them. Even though you daughter left a will and gave you custody, you need to see if that trumps the father's ability to have the children. If not, they will go to him I am sorry to say unless you petition the court, to try and gain custody.

Thank you

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer