Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am planning a divorce and am doing so research before

Customer Question
working on a settlement. I...
I am planning a divorce and am doing so research before working on a settlement. I don't know anything. My wife doesn't work and alimony will be extended for about 9yrs. I have a 12yr old daughter. I own a home but want my wife and daughter to stay until she graduates. I make about $200k/yr. I don't know the best path for alimony, child support and how taxes are affected for me. Can someone reach out and guide me?
Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/1/2018
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 22 days ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You would want to file and complete divorce prior to Dec. 31, 2018.Any spousal support prior to the at date thats ordered is going to be tax deductible.Anything after that is not.

Here in California both spousal and child support is set by software called dissomaster.You can order it and run calculations here.

Find it here

https://childsupportca.com/the-dissomaster-program/

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Spousal support

A general rule is that spousal support will last for half the length of a less than 10 years long marriage. However, in longer marriages, the court will not set alimony duration. The burden will be on the party who pays to prove that spousal support is not necessary at some future point in time.

How Spousal Support is Decided in California - Bohm Wildish

https://www.cadivorce.com/california.../spousal-support/how-spousal-support-is-decided...

Grounds for Divorce. California is a no-fault state, which meansthat you won’t argue for a divorce based on the other person’s wrongdoing. Mostoften, the basis for a divorce is “irreconcilable differences” that have causedthe marriage to break down. Fault isn’t entirely irrelevant, though—if yourspouse abandoned the family, committed adultery, or was violent, the court mayconsider those facts in dividing property or awarding alimony.

Property Division. California is one of only a handful of statesthat use a community property system, meaning that all of the property anddebts that you acquired during your marriage are shared equally between the twoof you at divorce. That includes income of all kinds, savings from income,property, and anything else that you own. However, it doesn’t include eitherspouse’s separate property, which includes inheritances, gifts, and propertythat the spouse owned before the marriage, as long as the separate propertywasn’t mixed up with the marital property.

Child Custody. Californiacourts begin with a presumption that it’s best for a child to have frequent andcontinuing contact with both parents after a divorce. If possible, judges wantto support joint custody arrangements. However, the details of the parentingplan will be determined by the children’s best interests. If parents can agreeon a parenting plan, the court will usually approve it. If you’re not able toagree, you’ll be ordered to attend mediation sessions, and if that doesn’twork, the court will take over and the judge will decide how you’ll share timewith your children.

Child Support. Likeall states, California requires parents to support their children, even after adivorce. The amount of child support depends primarily on each parent’s incomeand other resources, and how much time each parent spends with the children.Sometimes the courts will “impute” income to a parent who has the capacity toearn more than he or she actually is earning.

I appreciate the chance to help you and wish you the best.

Happy Easter.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer