Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My hasband has a 3 year old son that was conceived in my…

Customer Question
My hasband has a...

My hasband has a 3 year old son that was conceived in my house. the girl was living with us. he has been out the house for two years now so i need to keep him out and his mother that lives downstairs in an illegal dwelling. i want the house sold and get half of the money so i can get a ranch style house with a finished basement. oh yes we have a 24 year old special needs son that "I" HAVE been taking care of since birth. i need a vehicle with a lift and when i found out what he did he took the small van from me by not registering the car. he kept us locked up in this house for a year without food money and a mode of transportation. our son is sickly and he left me to deal with him alone. but i was doing this all his life.what r my options oh by the way him and his girl have a cleaning business together. oh yeah he has land in mobile alabama, blue ridge ga, he is very sneaky he will hide money from me so he dont have to give me any of it for me or my son. if i got to get feminine products i have to keep on BEGGING him over and over again for money to get feminine products. please can u help us. i want a legal separation. i want the house sold because i cant work because of my son plus cant afford the mortgage.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No not yet it cost me to file and i have no money and he wont give it to me

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Ok let me give you some back ground. ok before we got married he cheated on me and had his daughter, i forgave him, then we got married ind in december so 16 years sped up i have been dealing the stress of his baby mama drama until it led me in the arms of another man. i went to my hasband way before this other man came into play. ive cried on numerous occasions on his baby mama drama and all he did was dismiss EVERYTHING and ALL OF MY CONCERNS. so he made me quit my job and i did to save my marriage. so i lost my job and my medical benefits . im sick now because of this stress im on anti-depressants and two pressure medications. ihave lost clost to 100 pounds. i still cant eat. i need to get away from him and his family. can u pleases help me

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
What are my options for their business? When I admitted to cheating he told me he forgave me but he didn’t I asked him why did u do this to us he said cuz I did it to him I’m not gonna go back and forth I want him gone and his family. He is a very convincing liar trust me me I saw him in action many days.
I just need a place to stay money to live and a van fit for our son. He is the kind of person that if he is not hungry no one else can eat until I get in his ass and go as far as physically taking the money. Like now our son needs toiletries and personal care products and nothing. Luckily I have loving friends. I’m driving a 1989 Nissan maximum that my best friend gave me because she couldn’t believe he would leave us like that. If I have to take him anywhere I have to have someone sit in the back seat with him so he can lay on their lap because he is too tall to sit up in his car seat. Please excuse me I tearing up cuz I am still in shock. I am alone in this. I have my older children trying to keep me sane. I dnt want to be around people I dnt want to leave my room. My kids are going crazy because they never seen me like this. Help me plz
4/2/2018
Family Lawyer: N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer

I am so sorry that you are going though this. Please allow me some time to review your question and I will respond shortly.

Ok thank you. In conjunction with everything else I just want to know if I have any standing with his mistress she lived with us rent free bought her clothes fed her drove her back and forth to work. I am still in shock now he can’t afford medical insurance for me. I can’t get upset because of my health. All I want is to move into a ranch style house with a finished basement, a van with a lift for my son, money to pay the bills and buy my son his special diet and medical supplies.

GA is an equitable distribution state. That means that the court looks at all of the assets and property of the parties that is considered marital property. Generally, marital property is property and assets that the parties have acquired either jointly or solely during the marriage. The court than decides how those properties and assets will be distributed to each spouse in a fair and equitable manner. Before I go into what you would like out of the divorce let me say that unless you and your husband can come up with an agreement then the court decides how the property is divided, and the court has wide discretion in how they do that, and I am also assuming that the things your are requesting fall under marital property that the court has the power to decide on.

It is possible for the house to be ordered to be sold and the proceeds split either equally or at some other ratio. Splitting the proceeds assumes that there is equity in the home that would net proceeds after the sale. As far as your request for the vehicle. The court can order that the van be transferred to you, or that it be sold, and the proceeds be allocated to the parties. Additionally if any money is awarded to you out of this divorce, then rather than awarding you that car the court can just assume that you will purchase a suitable vehicle out of any money awarded to you. With respect to his other properties, and businesses, the court would make determinations on how those assets will be divided. Generally, unless you were an active participant in the formation and control of the business then he would likely be awarded the business.

It is unlikely that you have a legal claim against the other woman for reimbursement of food or expenses that were contributed while she lived with you unless there was am explicit agreement that you would be reimbursed.

Unfortunately, Georgia does not recognize legal separation; it is not an action they can grant. In Georgia, "legal separation" means the spouses no longer engage in marital relations. The term has no time frame, and the two people can be legally separated even if they reside in the same house but do not share the same room or have sexual relations.

Georgia offers divorce, annulments or separate maintenance. In this regime, a divorce ends a marriage; an annulment vacates a flawed marriage; and a separate maintenance order allows the court to rule on the marital issues surrounding the partnership, but does not grant divorce. In Georgia, separate maintenance decides all other marital issues such as property division, finances, custody of children.

Again, I am sorry that you are going through this. This sounds like a very complex divorce and if you proceed I would strongly recommend you seek the advise and assistance of a family law attorney. I hope that you get better. Please let me know if there is anything else you want to discuss. I would be happy to continue this conversation. If so just reply to this response. If you are satisfied with this response, please Accept the answer and provide a rating. Doing so costs you nothing extra. Experts are independent contractors and customer ratings are the only way we are compensated for the time reviewing and responding to questions as we are not employees of the site. You may also get a request for a telephone call, but that is from the site and not the experts. I hope your legal issue works out to your satisfaction.

If you are satisfied with my responses to your questions, please accept the answer, and provide a rating (5 stars would be appreciated). It cost you nothing additionally to do so. The experts who answer your questions are independent contractors, and customer ratings are the only way we are compensated for our responses. Thanks, ***** ***** hope everything works out to your satisfaction.