Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was married to a Filipna national while in Qatar in 2007.

Customer Question
I was married to...

I was married to a Filipna national while in Qatar in 2007. She run away 3 years ago. Is this marriage considered legal in the states?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in Qatari family court?

They would only let you come for 60 days counseling then decide if you can divorce on a civil marriage... How could I even try when she run away I have not worked there for 1.5 years and the X wife is gone...

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

Tried, no one seems to know what to do as we were married in a foreign country...

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I would like to possibly get re-married.... But I want it to be legal

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/31/2018
Family Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney replied 3 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

If your marriage was deemed "legal" when it occurred in Qatar it would in almost all circumstances be deemed legal in the United States without anything more having to be done. So you would need to get divorced prior to being able to enter into another marriage.