Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex-daughter in-law want let me communicate with my

Customer Question
My ex-daughter in-law want...

My ex-daughter in-law want let me communicate with my grandchildren.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No, I don't no what I need to do.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I live in DC, my grandchildren lives in MD.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Do I have rights to have a relationship with my grandchildren?

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Family Law
3/31/2018
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 21 days ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
I am sorry to hear this. Does the father have custody rights as well?
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
every other weekend.
The father is free to allow grandparent visitation during his parenting time. However if the grandparent wishes independent visitation the grandparent may petition for grandparent visitation. They must be able e to show that the parent is unfit or exceptional circumstances exist to indicate that the lack of grandparent visitation will have a harmful effect upon the child who is the subject of the petition. Koshko v. Haining, 398 Md. 404, (2007).If this can be shown then the court may grant visitation.
Here is the statutehttp://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmStatutesText.aspx?article=gfl§ion=9-102&ext=html&session=2017RS&tab=subject5
Please see the below link for the petition for visitationhttps://www.courts.state.md.us/family/formsindex#domesticrelationsFurther questions please post here otherwise kindly rate positively. Thank you!
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 19 days ago

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer