Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

At what age can a child decide which parent they would

Customer Question
At what age can...

At what age can a child decide which parent they would rather life with?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have they taken? Have they filed any papers in family court?

The divorce was in 2009. They have abided by the statements in the divorce. The children are now 12 and 16 yrs. old. They do not like spending so much time with their Dad. He has them all holidays and school breaks. They are not happy with him and not treated well. She has been told she cannot do anything until there is broken bones, hospital visits , etc

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

Tn, Coffee co.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am the grandmother, just looking information. My daughter has talked to local lawyer.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/31/2018
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Mother here would have to file motion to modify if she wants to change this.The children are of age to testify about this and have it changed.It is considered a change of circumstances.

Reference to changing the parenting plan

https://memphisdivorce.com/tennessee-custody-parenting-plan-modification-law-after-divorce/

Petition she needs to file in court where custody was set already

DOC]Petition

I appreciate the chance to help you, prayers to your daughter.Happy Easter.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Thank you! *****

Stars at top of page, take care now thanks for 5 stars.