Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a concern. My ex gave me money he told me to keep…

Customer Question
Good morning, I have...

Good morning, I have a concern. My ex gave me money he told me to keep half and than give him the rest. He gave me a time frame of which to return the money. I explained to him that I wouldn't be to give him the money right away. Now he says he has the FBI and interpol involved and they going to come arrest me can he do that.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I live in NY and he lives in Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I told him I can give it to him by 6pm this evening and he and the FBI have been texting me and telling me I need to have it by 10am but I'm currently in the hospital and have no way of doing that

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's it Thank you

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/31/2018
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 3 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Okay no problem thank you for taking me into consideration

I am sorry, but I do not understand your post.

Why is the FBI involved in your case--in a civil matter between you and your ex?

How do you know is the FBI texting you?

Did you get the FBI's employee number?

Kindly explain a little more?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Supposedly the FBI have been texting me through a 714 number..
My ex says he has gotten the FBI and interpol involved bc I didn't give him back his money..
No he hasn't given an FBI employee number at the end of the text it says James FBI
I just want to know can I be arrested for not giving him back his money. I know the lady I was speaking to before says it depends on the state. I'm from NY and he's from Flordia

Thank you for the information.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I am working with multiple customers on the site and I respond to posts in order that they are received. If you have not heard from me it does not mean that I have ignored your post. It just means that I am currently working with another customer.

Thank you for your understanding.

There is NO FBI texting you. Your ex is trying to scare you into paying the money. FBI does not get involved in private disputes between individuals. FBI is a federal police agency and only deals with criminal cases.

You WILL NOT be arrested for owing him money.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Thank you so much... I truly appreciate it..
He had me all scared telling me they would come looking for me and arrest me wherever I was.

You are quite Welcome!

Have a wonderful day,