Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm a non custodial parent w visitation per a custody

Customer Question
I'm a non custodial...

I'm a non custodial parent w visitation per a custody order.. my kids live in Missouri n I live in kansas.. my oldest is 17 but will be 18 in may.. he is also disabled diagnosed with autism n adhd.. my ex stopped allowing me to see him 10 months ago without modification to our custody order but he begs and cries to see me.. in Missouri your considered an adult at 17.. can he legally make the choice to came visit me against his father's consent?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in MO family court?

We actually did our custody in kansas and filed a motion for jurisdiction to stay here and the judge excepted it..

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

I retained an attorney in November off a word of mouth referral and I'm having major issues with getting her to file anything or even stay in touch with me.. last correspondence was via email and it was pretty negative.. last email I got was on March 20th stating she would email me in length the next day and haven't heard from her since.. she doesn't return calls either I'm always sent directly to voicemail ... my son's graduation is may 11th which is 13 days before his 18th birthday.. and he wants me to attend as well as come stay with me after..

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I've been denied visitation for almost a yr.. my ex moved n didn't notified me.. I found out when a card I sent was sent back and refused to give me an address.. my number is ***** on his phone.. my son is not allowed to have a phone or use social media and is relatively told no when he asks to come visit me... he is disabled but no guardian papers have been filed.. so he's basically being forced beyond his will to stay away from although he's of legal age in Missouri where he lives to make the decision...

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Family Law
3/31/2018
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 25 days ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

Response: He can, if no Guardian has been appointed for him. If there is a Guardian, then you have to go through the Guardian in order to see him.

If no guardianship papers have been filed, you may want to apply for the Guardianship to see if you would be appointed. If appointed, you would be the one that would be making decisions for him. The Guardianship would be filed at the Courthouse in the County where the adult resides. You can obtain Guardianship forms online.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law