Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm just trying to get answers for my brother-in-law if that…

Customer Question
I'm just trying to...

I'm just trying to get answers for my brother-in-law if that is ok?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I'm in Washington but he is in Oregon and is filing for divorce in Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

He contacted a divorce place last night to start the paper work.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Its about spousal support and if she could claim it

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Family Law
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
just to explain it a little bit. last year at the end of July and came back last month for 6 hours than left him again. she took the kids away and after the second week of having them full time she couldn't do it anymore and they started to pass the kids back and forth every other week. the first time she left she had a job and was working but she quit her job when she came back. and now she moved to a different state and filed for TANF because he said she quit her job and she knew she didn't want to be with him, she just didn't want to work. so he isn't going to be paying her bills anymore. she wrecked her truck that was in his name. and it has been totaled out, but she has no transportation and no job. she wants him to buy her a brand new car, and continuing paying her bills. he filed for a divorce but she said she was going to get child support and spousal support so he still has to support her. they haven't even been married for 2 years. they were separated for their first anniversary. I know there is three different types in Oregon but can she file for spousal support. he is working on getting sole custody of the children because they have came to use with bruises and cuts like they are being hit and hurt. they are only 2 and 1. I'm just trying to find out if she can get spousal support from him?
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I also forgot to add he gives her $50 a week even when he has the kids, to pay for what they need
3/31/2018
Family Lawyer: Sue, Family Law Attorney replied 21 days ago
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney

Hello, I’m here to help you today. I'm a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I'll review your question and be right back.

Sue

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.
It is very uncommon, especially in western states, for a spouse to get spousal support after such a short marriage. His wife's claim to spousal support is extremely unlikely to prevail.

If your brother in law is successful in getting full custody of the children, he won't have to pay child support either.

I have a couple of suggestions:

Because the children are coming back with bruises and cuts at their very young ages, your B-I-L can file an emergency motion for an award of full custody.

Secondly, many jurisdictions have become more user-friendly, and offer court forms free on-line. IN addition, many courts have good Self-Help centers now. I'd suggest steering away from private-pay forms companies; sometimes their forms have not been updated as the free court forms are, so your B-I-L could complete the forms only to find they're not the correct version.

If you want to send your B-I-L's city and county in Oregon, I can do some research to see if his jurisdiction offers either service.

Sue

Family Lawyer: Sue, Family Law Attorney replied 17 days ago

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. I hope I have provided you the information you were seeking. If you’re satisfied with my assistance, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help or have any further questions, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Sue

Sue
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney