Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband and I are going through a separation and he is…

Customer Question
My husband and I...

My husband and I are going through a separation and he is changing the locks on the doors so that I can't get in is that legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Not as of yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Nc

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/30/2018
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Ok

Great, thank you! The system may automatically ask you for a phone call; however, it’s not required that you take it. Bear with me a moment while I review…

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So, generally, a partner cannot keep a person out of the marital home unless they have a court order that prohibits the person from returning. If you share the home with your husband, then without a restraining order or some other government approval to keep you out, you are allowed back in.

My recommendation would be to either contact your county sheriff to help get you back in or you could possibly even get a restraining order against your husband that prevents him from locking you out of the property.

You may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter to your husband advising him that he's abridging your civil rights and he must let you back in There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template cease and desist letter (click here). Lawyers use letters like these often to enforce their client’s rights. It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. How else can I help you today?