Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

State: California. I am trying to find out what date is

Customer Question
State: California. I am...

State: California. I am trying to find out what date is taken into account to determine child support and alimony. I have four dates of significance and here they are1. Date of separation is Feb 2014 as stated in the divorce filing
2. Date when divorce was filed by one party Nov 2015
3. Date when papers were served to other party Sep 2017
4. Divorce still in progress with high conflict custody battle. There is no reason why I shouldnt get 50-50 custody so I am confident I will get 50-50 physical custody.My salary was same as my ex's salary during the first 3 dates above and now my salary has increased significantly. I am concerned that I may end up paying a very high alimony to my ex based on my new salary because its not like the salary is just coming to me, I am having to work extra hard to make it. Since the divorce is prolonging due to child custody evaluation, I will have an established salary history with my new income. My ex has already filed a motion requesting I pay child support and alimony as I make more than him but my average of 12 months is same as my ex. I was unemployed for a few months. But my average is not going to stay the same in the next few months. So how does the court determine the alimony. What date is of significance?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

CALIFORNIA

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/30/2018
Family Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 3 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
I can wait
Family Lawyer: DanLegal, Divorce Lawyer replied 3 months ago
DanLegal
DanLegal, Divorce Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help - The court will determine alimony and child support the day the divorce is finalized. If you think your ex is hiding money or playing games you will always be able to motion the case back into court to have the court review his financials.