Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If my spouse and I are doing a marital settlement

Customer Question
dissolution, and I am trading...
If my spouse and I are doing a marital settlement dissolution, and I am trading one of my assets for a vehicle she'll own in her name only, is it wise on the FL-160 to NOT put a P for petitioner (if she's the petitioner) next to that vehicle name and description as it will be listed in the agreement as it being released from community property to become her sole, separate property once I pay it off.
Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Family Law
3/30/2018
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 22 days ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Thank you for requesting me.

Normally the property is listed and then under section F (row F) if there has been a decision as to how that property will be distribute, the person that will receive that property can be indicated in row F. (for example with the full FMV of the property being listed under the person that is to be awarded that property).

The debt for the property would be listed under the party that is assuming that debt.

If the parties definitely want that particular item divided that way, one can include an MC-030 declaration stating the item #s and explaining how the transfer will occur once the loan is paid off. This is typically listed in the settlement agreement as well.

Please see page 24 here

Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 17 days ago

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer