Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am currently undergoing a contested divorce and

Customer Question
Hi, I am currently undergoing...
Hi, I am currently undergoing a contested divorce and representing prose. We participated in mediation and came to no agreement, my ex and his attorney left mediation early; we were in separate rooms. I have requested the invoice dated for his mediation to confirm his council and himself left early from his attorney and i was told that that was attorney-client privilege and he would not disclose the information. What steps/forms must i go through to retrieve this information. I am currently going through trial before a judge and have a court date in the near future ; ive done a little research, from your experience is leaving mediation early a bad thing? i know it escalated matters for me as i was and still have been prose. his attorney also immediately denied the general magistrate, should i request a show cause as to why? I am a domestic victim survivor and my ex initiated this litigation to create turmoil from the get go
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/30/2018
Family Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 5 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
please thank you
Family Lawyer: N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer

I would be happy to answer your legal question. I am sorry that you have not received a response yet. Please allow me some time to review your question and I will answer you shortly.

To request the invoice you can either make a discovery request or file a subpoena. Additionally you can just ask your spouse when he is testifying at the trial. But regardless how you request this information (subpoena, testimony, etc.). His attorney has indicated that they are going to object your request. There is an argument that the invoice is privileged so you may have a difficult time getting that information no matter how you request it.

Leaving the mediation early in and of itself is not bad per se. It does limit the opportunity for resolving issues outside of trial. If you both were court ordered to completely participate in the mediation and they did not comply with those orders then there may be ramifications for that non compliance.

Please let me know if there is anything else you want to discuss. I would be happy to continue this conversation. If so just reply to this response. If you are satisfied with this response, please Accept the answer and provide a rating. Doing so costs you nothing extra. Experts are independent contractors and customer ratings are the only way we are compensated for the time reviewing and responding to questions as we are not employees of the site. You may also get a request for a telephone call, but that is from the site and not the experts. I hope your legal issue works out to your satisfaction.