Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am a college student being asked to go to court for a

Customer Question
Second opinion] I am...

Second opinion] I am a college student being asked to go to court for a restraining order but I haven’t threatened them or contacted them except the times they contacted me. They hasn’t lied in her statement to the court. She has lied about what I have said as a client. She has broken HIPPA multipl times and wants a restraining order because she’s scared I’m going to hurt her but I have nevertheless made anythinretsbwhatso ever. What do I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No, they are trying to get a restraining order against me because their scared I will hurt them but I have never threatened them at all

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

IN

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That she has broken HIPPA and idk If that should be brought up in a civil cause but she’s doing it to Gerber back at the fact she broke a feder

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Family Law
3/30/2018
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 22 days ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

If you have a hearing scheduling for a Restraining Order, you must go to that hearing. Otherwise, if you do not show up, but the other party shows up, the Restraining Order is most likely going to be issued and that would hunt you for the rest of your life. It would affect your future employment. Because of the severity of the consequences of issuance of a Restraining Order, it would be prudent to bring an Attorney to the hearing to ensure that your side of the issue is well articulated to the Court increasing the chance that the Restraining Order would not be issued.

You can use the following sites to find local criminal defense Attorneys:

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Consumeradvocates.org

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I was told because it was a civil case it would only last for so long and it wouldn’t be on a back ground check for criminal. It would be for like if they wanted everything. However hey would ask what’s going on and I’d explain. The place I plan on for employment already know what’s going on and are on my side. Given the fact that the other party keeps dragging the company’s name in it and keeps breaking ethical standards. Once the (how many days he issues it for if he does) then it would be gone. It wouldn’t haunt me for the rest of my life. I just can’t be banded from one place she has requested which is why I’m going. I don’t ever want to talk to them again either.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I have everything I need in order ready to prove her wrong and her allocations are wrong. So I don’t see why the court would allow a protection order.
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 21 days ago

Thank you for the information.

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was offline when your response came in.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

You must still go to the hearing to protect your rights, to ensure that the Court hear your side.

I have ethical obligation to tell you that. What you do with the information however is ultimately up to you.

Best wishes,

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I am going to court. However I don’t think you understand what is going on
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 20 days ago

Okay, I will opt out.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law