Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a civil case to modify my visitation with my children…

Customer Question
I have a civil...

I have a civil case to modify my visitation with my children and my attorney just withdrew from my case. Trial is set for 4/23. I want to withdraw with the right to bring the case back at a later date. How do I do that?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Attorney filed papers some time ago but it isn't in family court.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am suppose to agree to my attorney's withdrawal or go to court tomorrow, would I ask for a withdrawal at that time? Let me get back to you.

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Family Law
3/30/2018
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 27 days ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

I am suppose to agree to my attorney's withdrawal or go to court tomorrow, would I ask for a withdrawal at that time? Let me get back to you

Response: You should. Just ask for withdrawal of the case in open Court if the other parties in the case are going to show up. Otherwise, you should try to get agreement with the other side to withdraw the case and file a Consented Motion for Voluntary Withdrawal/Dismissal of the case so that you do not have to appear in Court again for the hearing. If you do not agreement to withdraw, then you you have to file Motion for Voluntary Dismissal of the case. A hearing would be held to determine whether the case should be dismissed. Nonetheless, pursuant to your local rules, you may be allowed to send a Notice to the Clerk's office that you are voluntarily withdrawing your Petition for Modification. You should contact your Clerk's office and ask.

Best wishes,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law