Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am 72yo, sole care giver of a disabled son, his father…

Customer Question
I am 72yo, sole...

I am 72yo, sole care giver of a disabled son, his father resigned as coguardian, filed for divorce and got 50-50 of the assets. no parental support nor financial support from him. his father is now 91yo and in poor health and when he dies, can I sue his estate to compensate his financial support for his disabled son? I am financially exhausted due to my very limited income. DSHS pays me minimally for our son's care. The divorce was in 2014. can you advise me?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Yes, I did but because one of the stipulations in the divorce was not arbitration should be done before going to the court. my then lawyer reasoned to the judge why stipulation was taken but the judge denied my request for his parental responsibility and child support. The judge even ordered me to pay for his lawyer's fees. which I am still paying in installments.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Washington State.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My ex has seven children from his first marriage, one reason why he divorced me so he can give his shares to his seven children except to his disabled son. The assets that we had were basically from my earnings as he retired twelve years before me.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/30/2018
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 4 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

I am 72yo, sole care giver of a disabled son, his father resigned as coguardian, filed for divorce and got 50-50 of the assets. no parental support nor financial support from him. his father is now 91yo and in poor health and when he dies, can I sue his estate to compensate his financial support for his disabled son?

Response: Unfortunately, you cannot sue his estate for child support since the Court has already "denied your request for his parental responsibility and child support." His estate cannot be responsible for something that he was not held responsible for.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you. However, as an Attorney and an Officer of the Court, I have ethical and professional obligation to provide you with accurate and honest information eventhough that information may not be in your favor.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.