Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

For law educator only..." I have another question concerning…

Customer Question
quot;For law educator only..."I have...
quot;For law educator only..."I have another question concerning modification of child support. My income dropped from $125k / yr to $30K-$45K since I was medically retired from the military. I was basically incapacitated for almost a year and lost all my savings. Finally, last month I was awarded $1M from an auto accident that after I was already injured on active duty. As the medical bills and my lawyers fess, I have received $300k with another $200k coming. Of course I will disclose those funds on my updated financial affidavit for Tues, but will these funds I just got last month be used to determine past and future child support or will what I earn as income be used to determine this?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/29/2018
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Well, they would not be considered marital funds, since they are from a personal injury settlement, but when it comes to child support, the court will look at income from all sources, but only the part of the personal injury award that is attributed to lost wages is used in calculating child support. Any pain and suffering or disability or non-taxable payment is not considered to determine child support amounts.

Such an award could be taken and attached if there were unpaid arrears, but the money is not used to calculate your future payments.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.