Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have court regarding my children and CPS.I already signed…

Customer Question
I have court regarding my...
I have court regarding my children and CPS.I already signed up for a temporary guardianship to my parents and what actions do I need to take in order to get CPS off my back and separate me from my parents and my children. Since my children are in a safe home. They are being taken care of by my parents and both of my parents have passed there drug screens. So what needs to be done to make sure they don't speak or question me after this, As I am 100% sure the government should not be allowed to dictate my and my children's lives and has no clue what is good for them Child protection services has literally caused me to lose everything and i'm working with the public defender who I want nothing to do with after this court case what should I make sure is accomplished by him going into this next hearing
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/29/2018
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you want CPS out of your life, you can seek to voluntarily terminate your parental rights and that means you would be done with CPS, but you also would no longer have any rights to your children, your parents could then adopt them.

Unfortunately, CPS can intervene when they find children in danger or in unfit conditions. Once they intervene, they have a right to remain involved until they are certain the children will remain safe, not just temporarily.

So, if you want to be done with the CPS case you can arrange the voluntary termination of your parental rights through the attorney. If you want rights to your children again, then unfortunately CPS will remain involved until they are convinced the children are completely safe.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

I want to temporarily sign my rights away in order to better myself and establish a stable home for my children and self. I have a notarized document temporarily giving my parents guardianship until I am able to acquire a stable living environment for me and my family due to some setbacks in life i descided my children was r best with my parents instead of struggling with me financially but do I need it more official than just having a notary notarize a document? It was filed but never got a hearing ? Can my public defender do this?
Also are pd advice to plead guilty to a charge when innocent grounds to terminate him? Also what's proper procedures

Thank you for your reply.

If you temporarily sign your rights to your parents, then you will not be done with CPS. CPS will continue to be involved to make sure you are following the requirements and becoming a fit parent entitled to regain custody of your child. CPS will not get out of your life just because you sign over temporary custody to your parents.

So, if you want your children back, then you will have to continue to deal with the CPS social workers.

If you are not guilty, then you need to tell the PD you want to go to trial. If he refuses to go to trial and properly represent you, then that is ground to ask the court to terminate him.