Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My wife and i adopted my nephew 10 years ago. The bio mother…

Customer Question
My wife and i...

My wife and i adopted my nephew 10 years ago. The bio mother has continued to try and contact him through half sibling. She has come to my wife's work and caused problems, constant asking about" her son", causing issues for my wife at work. Do we have cause to get a protective order granted to stop this?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

We haven't, when we adopted him we did not expect this. It has escalated since the bio mother completed parole after being released from prison. I just don't know if this is enough to stop her harrassment, law enforcement says its a civil matter unless she threatens physical harm to my wife. The child is 16 now we adopted him at age 6

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Colorado

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/29/2018
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
I am terribly sorry to hear this. A protective order may be obtained from a person who engages in ongoing contact that one may find offensive or harassing. The court will look to see whether a reasonable person would consider it as such. Generally if a biological mother interferes in a relationship with the adoptive parents or harassed or stalks them they may be awarded a protective order which is a civil proceeding yet it will be enforced by local law enforcement.Please seehttps://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Self_Help/FAQ%27s/Protection%2520orders%2520FAQs%2520%2520.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjZgaCkoJHaAhUSC6wKHWTKANIQFggoMAE&usg=AOvVaw2znNER5D_K3jigxBoMKheP
Instructions and forms herehttps://www.courts.state.co.us/Forms/Forms_List.cfm?Form_Type_ID=24

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.