Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was accused of having drugs in my system when I gave

Customer Question
I was accused of...

I was accused of having drugs in my system when I gave birth. I've taken hair test and urine test that that came back negative. CPS has had a open case on me for almost 90 days. The case worker keeps telling me they are going to close the case but they haven’t. Keep in mind it was only supposed to last 7-45 days. They don’t come to check. And they keep giving me excuses on why it’s taking so long. Is this legal? The hair test goes back three months I’ve taken 2 that over lap the time I gave birth they both came back negative. I had

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I’ve taken the tests and they put a safety plan in place. The case worker put in for the case to be closed weeks ago but her supervisor keeps giving her the run around.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that every test they’ve given me has came back negative. They even gave me copies assuring me they were closing the case. My case worker says it’s a waste of her time because she knows I’m clean an she doesn’t even come to visit.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/29/2018
Family Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 3 months ago
Edward Young

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a few minutes to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Family Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 3 months ago

You need to consult with an Ohio family law specialist to see what he or she might recommend. It may just be that a simple letter from your attorney will prompt them to close the case. If you give me the city in Ohio in which you live, I can recommend some highly rated attorneys for you. Also, here is a link from the Ohio Bar Association about your rights in dealing with the Ohio CPS: https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Resources/LawYouCanUse/Pages/Parents-Have-Rights-When-Deaing-with-Children-Services-Caseworkers.aspx

I await your response.