Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughter has recently lost custody of my grand-daughter…

My daughter has recently lost...
My daughter has recently lost custody of my grand-daughter as a result of alcohol abuse problems. If she stays sober for a year or more and in therapy, what would be the chance or steps to take to re-gain custody in the state of Texas?
3/28/2018
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But I do not understand your specific question. What do you mean "lost custody"? Did the court terminate her parental rights? Or did they grant custody to someone else, without formally terminating her parental rights?

I believe that the court granted custody to someone else and did not terminate her parental rights.

Thanks
That is good...IF that is the case (if they did not terminate her rights)? Then she can file a request with the court to have the court (the same court that issued the custody to the other person) modify custody to give her visitation.

That is the start.

If visitation goes well...say she is able to have a good relationship with the child for 6 months to a year? Then she can consider filing a request with the court for more time.

She will need to have an attorney assist with this...but if she can show that she is not a danger to the child? I would expect the court to grant visitation

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

I have not had access to the papers regarding this matter but know that someone else has been appointed as her foster parent.

You would want to check with the court that issued the order. They (the clerk of the court) can tell you what the order says (it is a public record)...then you will know if the rights were terminated or not

My daughter has visitaion rights at this time. Does this make a difference?

YES...that is great. She can then apply to increase her time with the child...if she is doing better...not a threat to the child? I would expect the court to increase her time with the child.

P. Simmons, Lawyer