Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am wanting to get guardianship of my 25 year old daughter.

Customer Question
I am wanting to...

I am wanting to get guardianship of my 25 year old daughter. She has several mental issues. She is married, but her husband issue himself. I ask her today about me and her stepdad being guardian over her. She is right now in the texas state hospital in Terrell

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I am not sure what to do. The Terrell State hospital if I had guardianship over her, I said no. They told I need to, But I ask my daughter first she is ok with it

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am not sure what to ask

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/28/2018
Family Lawyer: Sean K, Family Law Attorney replied 5 months ago
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

It is possible for someone such as yourself in Texas to obtain guardianship over an adult child. Particularly if her husband has issues himself.

Texas has put together a very good resource on this issue and I have attached a link to it here so you can have it to review.

As well there is an overview here that also links to the guide I just referenced.

The process is completing and filing an application for the guardianship with the Court and then following a hearing, a Judge may appoint you as the Guardian based on the need.

It is always a good idea to speak to an estate lawyer as they can properly advise you and can likely expedite the process.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.