Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

LITTLE DID i KNOW, WHEN i MARRIED MY HUSBAND 7 YEARS AGO, HE…

LITTLE DID i KNOW...

LITTLE DID i KNOW, WHEN i MARRIED MY HUSBAND 7 YEARS AGO, HE WAS STILL MARRIED TO ANOTHER WOMAN FROM pADUCAH. I want to get our marriage annulled. He was arrested for bigamy in January and is out on bond until April 30. He sent me divorce papers. Divorce is incorrect. It didn't count. It should be an annulment.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your husband taken? Has he filed any papers in family court?

I received divorce papers in the mail yesterday that I had to sign for

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is he in?

Well, it says he lives in Texas, but he filed in Mayfield KY

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes. He is stating that, what was his before the marriage will be his and what was mine will be mine. Well, I had a house. I lost the house and his things that were in it as well as my things that were in it bc I had no income to pay. He stopped sending money. Then after 4 months my disability was approved and I worked with my bank and borrowed the money to save the house. It had been sitting empty. I moved back in. I slept on an air mattress. I didn't even have a bed......... That's how much stuff I lost. When I got my back pay settlement for disability, I bought everything to furnish my house again (mostly used furniture). My point is, I don't have anything that was his. And all he did have was clothes, shoes, duffle bag and papers. They've been thrown away. Why should I have had to pay to store his stuff when I couldn't even pay to store my own stuff?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Where are you currently located??Do you want to file there for annulment?Were you the first wife here?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Kentucky. We married inside the court house. I am NOT the 1st wife.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I'm on a fixed income $700 disability. I can't afford this. I thought I could get your advice, but this is too much.

So you can counterclaim here and file for annulment.

Annulment forms

https://www.uslegalforms.com/us/US-01007BG.htm

You have right to file yourself for annulment.

I appreciate the chance to help you , prayers to you.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

An annulment is legal decree that states that a marriage was never valid. The legal effect of an annulment is to void the marriage as though it never existed. Generally, the length of time married is not a determining factor to request an annulment. Mere regret alone is generally insufficient grounds for an annulment

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Grounds for annulments and prohibited marriages are varied. Insanity, fraud, force, duress, impotency, being underage.Fraud here and bigamy are good grounds to annulment.

In Kentucky, you will need to file a “Petition for Annulment of Marriage” (legal paperwork asking the court for an order of annulment) in the circuit court for the county where either you or your spouse live. You need to have lived in your county for at least 60 days before filing for an annulment. Contact the clerk at the circuit court for your county to see if they have a sample petition for annulment that you can use. A link showing maps and contact information for all Kentucky district courts is below.

The spouse filing for annulment is called the “petitioner” in the petition, and the other spouse is the “respondent.”

Your petition for annulment must include certain information, such as both spouses’ names, addresses, dates of birth, occupation and how long each spouse has lived in Kentucky. You need to provide the date of the marriage, and whether any children were born from the marriage. You also need to state the legal ground supporting the annulment.

After you file your petition with the circuit court, you will need to "serve" your spouse with a copy of the petition. "Service" means making sure your spouse gets notice of the annulment proceeding, which is typically done by having someone hand deliver a copy of annulment paperwork (including the petition) to your spouse. If you can’t find your spouse or he or she has moved out of state, ask your circuit court clerk about alternative options for service.

You will have a hearing before a judge who must decide if you have proven that your marriage should be annulled. If the judge is convinced, the judge will sign an order granting an annulment of your marriage. The judge can also sign an order granting your annulment if your spouse doesn’t contest (or joins in) your request.

Effect of an Annulment

When an annulment is granted, it means you and your spouse were never legally married. After an order of annulment, both spouses can say that there was never a marriage between them.

In Kentucky, where the statute of limitations only makes annulment possible for a very short time, there is no right to alimony or property division after an annulment.

A marriage can still be annulled even if the couple had children during the marriage. In Kentucky, the children of an annulled marriage are always considered legitimate, meaning both parents have the duty to financially support the children. A child born within 10 months of an annulled marriage is also considered legitimate.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer