Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am trying to get a divorce. There are two minor children…

I am trying to...

I am trying to get a divorce. There are two minor children involved. Their father and I have been living in separate homes for about a month now but he is still contesting the divorce due to wanting to make it work. However, I feel there are irreconcilable differences and I keep telling him that. What should I do because I really don't have the money for an attorney due to paying for daycare and everything else on my own.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I have not because I can not find the correct papers needed for a contested divorce along with minor children being involved. I have spent day researching and calling different places to find out what my options are

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of. Thank you

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Can you call me on my Cell Phone.(###) ###-####It is much easier for me that way.
3/28/2018
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

I am happy to speak to you concerning the divorce process and can also provide you some resources for low cost or perhaps even free legal assistance.

Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney

And I can also provide you information via this discussion and save you the extra cost - however you would like to proceed

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
My biggest question is just how do I go about starting the process for a contested divorce with minor children involved. I have seen where if I file the no fault divorce he doesn't have to sign or anything of that nature. No place I look gives the proper forms I need for children and him contesting it.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I have tried to give him at least legal separation papers and he rips them up in my face. so I need official papers actually served to him that way if he rips them up it doesn't matter.

You are correct in what you are finding. In Tennessee they do a wonderful job of providing forms for self help where there is an agreement. If there is not an agreement you are not prohibited from filing on your own, but they don't really show the way and leave you to do it yourself.

And you are exactly right. If you do it, it needs to be official.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Right, I have spoke with a lawyer in my area and he was willing to do it for me I just don't have the money at the time and I need the divorce as quickly as possible due to trying to join the Air Force.
Can you point me in the right direction to finding the forms on my own so I can get them filled out and filed with the county court house so I can get him served and not have to prolong the Air Force too much longer?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I know how much the legal fees and serving fees are I just cant find the proper forms and when I call court house they tell me they can not tell me which forms I need or where to find them because they are not allowed to give that legal advice.

So there are options.

First, there is a resource in Tennessee for people who want to represent themselves. I have put a link to that here. Now some of this is not specific to Family Law, but there are specific resources set out for divorce and custody. These are very good to start to get an idea as to how things operate.

In addition to this, below are three resources for obtaining a pro bono attorney in Tennessee

1 - The State Bar of Tennessee - link here

2 - Pro bono search through Super Lawyers link here

3 - Pro Bono search through Justia Link her

Also bear in mind that you are not the first to find yourself in this situation. Also, in Tennessee, the Court's can make one side (his side) pay your attorneys' fees if he is unreasonable. If he has been non-cooperative and has not been assisting financially, you may not even need to get a pro bono attorney as you may be able to find a local attorney who will take your case knowing they can be paid from your husband.

If, after you review all of this, you still want to proceed with a divorce on your own, you absolutely can. I have attached a link here that will give you access to a lot of documents that you can use as go-bys. You would have to modify the Complaint at item 10 to include a request for custody and child support you would use the Temporary Parenting and Permenant Parenting Plan to set out schedules. But you could file and serve these and get the ball rolling.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.

Sean K
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney