Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Needing to file immediate temporary protective order as well…

Customer Question
Needing to file immediate...

Needing to file immediate temporary protective order as well as custody due to father a threat to myself once released from mental institution. How and where do I begin

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

None. He has been abusive to me only not the children but the last time he was released he got put on several medications and plus alcohol equals not good. I am doing my best to prevent anything from happening. No custody has been made. Nothing. We just split up 30ish days ago I kicked him out due to his drinking and verbal nearly physical abuse. I am just worried he will come after me and I have to get something documented.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No ma’am

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/28/2018
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 3 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

Is there already a standing custody order in place, or not?

None. Just separated, I kicked him out 30 plus days ago
Seriously I have to call you and pay another 60$ for a response?

No, of course not. Mind what was stated before: (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

Okay.

1) Filing for custody - see HERE for forms and step by step.

2) Along with this, one files an ex parte motion for temporary orders, a copy of which you can find at any local law library. Once this is all filed, you ask the clerk to set a hearing for the ex parte motion and then the Court will normally hear it even before he is served, typically same day or in the next few days.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Okay none of that applies to me on the custody. I want temporary until proven fit for safety reasons.

An ex-parte motion for temporary orders is for (1) immediate custody while the suit is pending, and then, (2) a rehearing for temporary custody a little later. That is the mechanism for such cases.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

basically I’m f**ked. Because I’m telling u he is going to come after me but it’s a process to be protected and have my children safe with me? Awesome. You just gotta love The system. Exactly why I don’t take action when necessary. It’s either too long gone or the cops just so happened to know him. Excuse my French but as you can see I’m a little worried and don’t have time to wait
why woman run as fast as they can and take a risk. I totally understand it all now.
However sir I don’t have the luxury or anywhere to go. I have to be the parent to keep it together but what do u suggest I do to make this happen before he could possibly oh I don’t know kill me?
you referred me. I apologize for the cussing. I’m just scared out of my mind and I have to make things happen within days. I have days. He is in the mental institution and once he gets out I am no longe safe sir. Hope I didn’t offend you
Why say chat until your sastfied in your slogan and push me off on someone else ? What a fraud
I STIRIVE FOR FIVE hoax.
It is sadly people such as yourself that give women like me false hope for anything. Good luck to ya Ely. ��������‍♀️��
Just because I can’t rate you doesn’t mean I won’t be making a call about this. FYI. I assure you I didn’t mean to offend you however, you just got paid and I’m dissatisfied