Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Been struggling with divorce and custody case with my wife…

Been struggling with divorce...

Been struggling with divorce and custody case with my wife for 9 months . Paying lawyer and feel like he’s not doing anything but drawing fees. Supposed to be going to mediator now but it’s been 3-4 weeks .And no word from Lawyer. Is there anything I can do to get this over with ???

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I really don’t know what he has done as he never really informs me on on anything unless I know what to ask him . And I don’t as I not a lawyer .

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Arkansas , and I’m from Texas and I want to go home and take my daughter

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She has tested positive for drugs ,( marijuana ) cheated on me and is living with her boyfriend now .

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I think he has filed papers in Family court
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I e-mailed him a week ago Tuesday and called him today but still haven’t heard from him .
3/28/2018
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

So here is what you need to do.

First, call the attorneys' office and ask for a meeting.

In advance of this meeting, ask for a total invoice to date with itemized expenses.

When you sit down with the attorney, have a list of questions ready for him

Some examples would be

1 - I am here and my wife and child are living with her boyfriend and doing drugs. What steps are you taking to get my child out of this situation.

2 - It has been several weeks and mediation has been discussed and not yet set. Who are we mediating with, when is the mediation and what do we need to do to prepare.

3 - Address your goals with him - 1)do you want custody - if so, what is his plan to get it. 2)what is being done to get your child in a safe place 3)has he filed anything and are there court dates coming up. 4)based on your goals what is his plan, what is a timeline and where is he on accomplishing it.

4 - Has you wife gotten a lawyer and if she has what has been filed and what has been sent to the lawyer.

5 - Why the problems communicating and finally, go through his bill with him and have him justify the expenses.

The ultimate goal of a meeting with the lawyer is to make sure he has a handle on things. If you wife has a child in another location with a boyfriend and is doing drugs, there is no reason that should continue.

If you try to contact your lawyer and he does not get back with you or does not agree to meet with you very quickly, you need to ask for your file, a refund of any unearned monies and get a new attorney. If the things that you say are going on, you need someone to be proactive and to get the ball rolling. If these things are going on, you need to have this resolved sooner rather than later.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank you and how long should I wait for response from lawyer?
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Called him this morning .

I would give it 48 hours and call again. It is okay to leave a message that if he is not going to call you back that you will want to come get your file. Remember, he is working for you and he has an ethical obligation to 1 - communicate with you and 2 - represent your best interest.

If he does not get back with you by, really Friday, I think it is time you made some decisions.

Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney
Sean K
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney