Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Im from north dakota can i do court ordered community

Customer Question
service in another state...
im from north dakota can i do court ordered community service in another state
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/28/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

Yes, you can.

You do first need to obtain an order from the judge granting your permission to complete the community service hours out of state.

However, this should not be too difficult to have approved.

Your attorney will just need to draft a motion explaining the reason why, and the details of the community service work you'll be doing, and you should be able to have this approved by the judge.

You want to make sure this is done before beginning the community service hours, to ensure that you'll receive credit for your time.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!