Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband and I filed for divorce. He wants to try to go to…

My husband and I filed...
My husband and I filed for divorce. He wants to try to go to counseling now. I was supposed to get paid at settlement soon as the divorce was final from his retirement. I’m also in the process of purchasing a business. I’m not entirely certain that we can make it work but I do want to try. I want to protect my business should we decide to not get a divorce now and end up getting One in the future. What type of document should I draw up for this type of an agreement? I want him to sign it saying that, should we divorce, the business is mine. Also, I was the one who originally filed. As long as we don’t withdraw the petition I still have time in case I decide to finalize the filing, correct? It’s been 60 days since I filed
3/28/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You still have time to decide whether to finalize.These can stay on file a year at least.You need lawyer to prepare a post nuptial agreement here.It would award you the business and divide everything else.The agreement is then adopted by the court to divide everything up.This would be the way to protect yourself if you want to give it second chance.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
We didn’t use lawyers to file, can I file the post nup on my own? And these documents must be filed with the court?

You can do a marital settlement agreement here since you are pro se and it would be filed in the divorce.Whats state here? I can get you forms.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Texas. I actually don’t want to do a marital sex ration agreement, I want it to be a postnuptial agreement. Can you send me the forms for that one? Do I need to file it in court?

Here you go, it would not be filed unless you proceed with the divorce

https://www.postnuptialagreement.org/post-nuptial-agreement-form/

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer