Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

How do I write up an emergency visitation motion to have my…

Customer Question
How do I write...

How do I write up an emergency visitation motion to have my daughter for upcoming time when my son is visiting? I'm not the custodial parent. I'm wanting to have her for 3 or 4 days - which is outside of my normal visitation schedule. My son lives out of state and only see him a couple times a year. Case is in pasco county florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in FL family court?

Regarding this mater at hand, I've contacted the mother about a month ago with no response to my request. I also asked her attorney... he has not gotten back to me as of yet. I already have a temporary time share... every other weekend and wed-thrs. I was thinking of presenting the emergency motion/hearing to him but not filing it unless there's no response

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There would be no negative reason on my part as to why the mother would not grant me this time outside of vindictiveness

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/28/2018
Family Lawyer: N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer

Unfortunately the court does not provide a form that specifically addresses your request for an emergency modification of visitation. There is a court form for an emergency pick up, and there is the standard form for modification. I'll will attach links to both of those forms. What you can do is review the forms and use them as a template to draft your own motion. Now to the underlying request. Generally, emergency motions given great scrutiny, and tend to be granted only when there is a harm, or a threat of harm to the child, or a serious time sensitive matter relating to the care and or welfare of the child. I don't want to minimize your request but I'd be prepared in case the court does not consider your request enough to justify an emergency modification of the visitation. Even though your request is more than reasonably, unfortunately, since there are existing orders, the other party is under no obligation to modify those order, even if temporarily, absent a court order. There is no harm in filing the motions, so if you feel that is your final option then proceed with that. Perhaps you could reach out to your child's mother one more time, requesting less time, and or offering her something in exchange for allowing you more time (like giving her more time later, or a holiday, etc). You know better than I do what may be important to her. If you can find that and present it to her she might be willing to grant your request, without having to go to court.

Here's the links for the court forms:

http://www.flcourts.org/core/fileparse.php/533/urlt/941d.pdf

http://www.flcourts.org/core/fileparse.php/533/urlt/905a.pdf

I am sorry that you are going through this and having a difficult time coming to an agreement with your child's mother. Please let me know if there is anything else you want to discuss. I would be happy to continue this conversation. If so just reply to this response. If you are satisfied with this response, please Accept the answer and provide a rating. Doing so costs you nothing extra. Experts are independent contractors and customer ratings are the only way we are compensated for the time reviewing and responding to questions as we are not employees of the site. You may also get a request for a telephone call, but that is from the site and not the experts. I hope your legal issue works out to your satisfaction.