Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a trouble teen. Chronically runs away. We had a

Customer Question
I have a trouble...

I have a trouble teen. Chronically runs away. We had a physical altercation when she tried to take stearing wheel while I was driving. I took her to her fathers for a break, time to plan what to do next in her behavior. I have court date Thursday and leave out of town next week. His girlfriend is refusing to keep her at their home and this may be the only way to help her for now.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is she in?

Seattle wa

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have physical custody. What are my options

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/28/2018
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 24 days ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
My teenager who has major behavior issues and I have been doing all I can to help her. It’s come to the point that not only do I need a break but her younger sister is also suffering. I took her to her dads home. She has been there 2 days and his girlfriend has been very hostile about her staying there saying I am manipulative and abandoning my child and breaking my parenting plan. My ex husband has never stepped up to take care of any of his kids. I’m asking for temporary placement for me to have time to heal in such a negative environment. I am the primary custodial parent. I am leaving out of town next week and my daughter is too dangerous to take along. What are my right? Am I abandoning her? Can my ex really refuse to have her in his home and his gf have rights to say anything in this?

I'm sorry to hear about that. Abandonment of a child is a big deal and usually involves leaving a child to fend for themselves indefinitely. Leaving a child with the father is not abandonment.

My recommendation is to get a custody modification.

Custody, visitation, and child support are always difficult issues to sort out, but thankfully the courts are there to help settle the score on the issue. If you are looking to modify custody, visitation, or child support, you’ll have to go through the court system.

It typically starts with filing a petition, which is just a request through the courts to get a change in one of those things. Once you fill out the petition, you should make three copies: one to you, one for the court, and one to the other party. It is critical to understand that the courts are bound to look at what is in the best interests of the child above all else. This means they will look into who and how the child’s health, education, welfare, and safety are best going to be served. Sometimes, this can be inconvenient for one parent, but because the kids cannot protect themselves, the court takes it upon itself to protect them. The bright side is that if you understand this in advance, then you will have an edge when you are dealing with the other side because you’ll be seeing this process through the court’s eyes.

If it is in her best interest to be with him instead of you, then a court may agree and force him to take her.

Regardless, once you have filed the documents, someone who is over 18 and not a party to the case will serve the document on the other party. They will have a chance to respond to the petition and they will serve you as well. The court will likely set a date where they will either order mediation or they will make a decision at that time. If you can’t agree at mediation or if the court decides it needs more info, then it is likely you would go to a trial where you can put on witnesses, provide your own testimony, and let the judge make a ruling after that. Those are less likely scenarios, but they come up on occasion.

The order is enforceable from the moment it is entered and if a party fails to abide by the order, then they are going to be held in contempt of court.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Ely, Counselor at Law