Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was wondering how difficult a custody dispute can be my…

I was wondering how...

I was wondering how difficult a custody dispute can be my children live with my ex wife there mother and things have been getting bad for them they have moved 3 times in the last year and gone with out power 5 times for a min of a week at a time in our custody agreement it states she has physical custody id like to get that changed and have the kids with me so I know they are safe

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your mother taken? Has she filed any papers in family court?

When we got a divorce they gave us a custody agreement as far as I know that's all she has

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is she in?

Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's all I can think of

3/28/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

The judge's primary concern in a custody battle is what is in the best interests of the child. One of the things the judge is going to look at is stability. If you can provide a stable home - with electricity - and the mother cannot, that puts you in a good position to ask that custody be changed, at least until the mother gets back on her feet. If they're doing well with you, though, you'd be able to keep them longer.

The courts unfortunately don't appear to have free modification forms online, but you may be able to find something at sites such as www.uslegalforms.com or www.legalzoom.com.

If you have reason to believe the children are in immediate danger, you can file an emergency motion. However, it's best to have a local attorney draft that for you, because you have to go before the judge and argue it immediately. It helps to have someone familiar with both the relevant laws and the legal system.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer