Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have question on child custody, for unmarried parent the…

Hi, I have question on...
Hi, I have question on child custody, for unmarried parent the child's father did Sign a Voluntary Declaration of Paternity when he was born, the Father has never supported the child and only sees him infrequently, would like to find out if there are any documents, I can have made up for child custody to go to my Mom and Dad? if I had to go to the hospital or if I was incapacitated, I made up Will with my wishes but want to know what other documents can have?
3/28/2018
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you tell me, is there a child custody order in place?

Hi thank you for getting back to me no there is no custody order the only thing he signed was the voluntary paternity nothing else has been filed

Thanks

Mom would need to go to court and obtain a custody order. With no order, if mom were to pass, dad would get the child. Making a will is not going to have any impact on this.

If there is a concern that dad is not suited to raise the child, mom should head to court and obtain a court order that provides sole custody to mom.
That way, if mom passes, there is already a court order that indicates that dad is not suited to raise the child...that would prompt the probate court to place the child with the maternal grandparents.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Thanks

P. Simmons, Lawyer