Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

There seems to no good way to find a pro bono lawyer

Customer Question
referral, let alone any type...
There seems to no good way to find a pro bono lawyer referral, let alone any type of attorney. The referral services I've previously used were terrible.I am trying to help someone dealing with issues with her ex-husband and her children, which are now out of her custody due to her ex-husband having taken them out-of-state, and the kids were just taken from him as he fled the state where he and his wive lived and didn't show up to child custody court cases. (You can infer a lot more to this but I'll leave this summarized.)Where can I direct this person? She doesn't really have any money and she is now forced to travel across the country dealing with issues in both states due to her ex-husband. Her current attorney, who is pro bono, doesn't seem interested in helping her, and she cannot reach her kids due to CPS.I'm just trying to help out as a third-party.Thanks.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/28/2018
Family Lawyer: DanLegal, Divorce Lawyer replied 4 months ago
DanLegal
DanLegal, Divorce Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help - I am sorry that you are getting nowhere with attorneys - what county are you located in?

It's not me, it is an acquaintance that my wife wants to help out. This family is from New York, but I'd have to ask where. They are now in Arizona. The kids were taken by CPS a couple of days ago, and this woman has court dates in AZ and NY this week. Again, I am just trying to see if there is someplace to direct her for better help from someone who may care more than her current representative. The directories I previously used for myself led me to indifferent attorneys and lawyers with terrible ratings/reviews. Obviously, money buys good lawyers but this women has little, and now is spending even more in forced travel trying to get her kids back: she seems to be going down a spiral that those without means get easily stuck in. The main issue is cases like these are not noteworthy nor do they offer any value to a lawyer.

I am very sorry to hear about the situation - the best way to find reliable, affordable lawyers is to go to the Bar Association in the county that they are located in. They will have a referral program that will get your friend connected with an attorney who not only specializes in that area, but will also take the case for pro bono or a fee they can afford.

That was already done. The Bar Association referral system is not very good. I guess there's nothing I can do to help her out through usual channels. Thanks anyway.

The only other lawyer referral places I would try would be AVVO online. That will help you get names of qualified lawyers.

Can you please rate my answer with 5 stars