Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Second opinion] Am unsure of which legal category my

Customer Question
Second opinion] Hello. Am unsure...
Second opinion] Hello. Am unsure of which legal category my question falls under. I have been caring for my now 75-year-old mother and despite having found her a place in an independent living facility, her needs have increased and may be most suited for assisted living, which may also not be within her budget. In recent years her family in Thailand have agreed to accommodate her given their resources and her benefits there, being a Thai national. Despite their recent change of heart, my plans may result in taking her to Thailand to spend the rest of her life, as it would be the best situation for her. As her power of attorney, should I dissolve the POA (CA) once this has occurred? Can I be liable for abandonment once I connect and leave her in my relatives' company outside the US?
Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Family Law
3/28/2018
Family Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Attorney replied 28 days ago
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney

I am sorry to hear this.

Is she competent enough to sign a new POA once she is brought to Thailand? Does she have a relative there that she trusts to handle her affairs?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
In regards ***** ***** POA in Thailand, I would say yes. Although there are trusted relatives there, they may not go thru a POA, as they are Thai and not American.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
You are suggesting a Thai POA with me in the event she moves and resides there? I can provide financial assistance, but am concerned for any abandonment claims...
Family Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Attorney replied 27 days ago

If she appoints a relative in Thailand by signing a POA there, you cannot be accused of abandoning her.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Hello again. I have had my mother stay with me. Despite visual and verbal reminders she continues to go outside without company. Recently she attracted the attention of a neighbor who called the local police department, who claimed she was breaking into a neighbor's door having forgotten the unit number... (i find highly unlikely she would break in...) Nonetheless her actions have brought the attention of neighbors which are all managed by the same property management co. Although I do have relatives who own a home in the area, can they claim abandonment on my part should I transport her there? There is a relative who spends nearly all their time there since they occupy the garage. I find it no longer an option to accommodate her with my housing, as I am a renter and not protected by a long-term lease. She is currently on wait lists for assisted living or independent living apartments and other government beenfits.
Family Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Attorney replied 26 days ago

May I ask which STate you are located in?

Are the relatives who own a home willing to house her and take responsibility for her?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
California. The relatives are not willing... despite keeping my mother’s sister in the garage..
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Hello again. The property manager has been alerted of the recent incident involving my mother and has inquired a response from my self and my roommate (also on lease) as to our view. They are vague in what the complaint is about. How should we/I respond? My thoughts are to respond with concern and explain we are aware of the incident and deeply sorry for the concern that it caused. The person involved is no longer at the property and will not be returning. We'd like to know who reached out so as to personally apologize if possible as well... (or something to that effect)...Please advise.
Family Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Attorney replied 25 days ago

Your proposed response to the property manager sounds reasonable.

Have you asked IHSS for help?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Not as of yet
What is heir function ??

They help elderly or disabled people to live outside a hospital or nursing home.

N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney