Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If I'm paying child support for a kid that doesn't have my…

Customer Question
If I'm paying child...

If I'm paying child support for a kid that doesn't have my last name but I'm on the birth certificate can i change his last name to mine

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Ok. so right now I'm on child support for 3 kids. one i know 100% shes mine. the boy i wasn't to sure but i singed his birth certificate and have been paying child support but his mother will not let me see him. the 3rd child i have never seen or met. didn't know she was alive till i got served papers saying someone was claiming i was the father. i missed my dna appointment and they atomaticly put me on child support. i am looking at what my options are before i take this to court

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I am currently in colorado and all 3 kids are from texas. i am willing to go back to texas if it helps my situation

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If i sign over all rights to the kid that i never met will they take me off of child support

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/28/2018
Family Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
You can do so if both parents consent. If other parent objects you would petition the court for this change.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!