Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have sole custody of my two younger children. I wanted to…

Ok so I have...

Ok so I have sole custody of my two younger children. I wanted to see about terminating their fathers rights. Because he isn't involved in their life.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Just for sole custody and decision making. which I was granted

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The father lives out of state and hasn't seen or spoke to the kids in over 6 months. we had a really bad break up.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

ok thank you

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Thank you I appreciate the help

In order to terminate the father's parental rights you will need to file a Motion for Involuntary Termination of Parental Rights.

Under Arizona state law, there are several grounds under which a court will consider terminating a parent's rights.

These are the following:

• A parent has abandoned, intentionally abused or neglected a child
  • A parent has been convicted of a crime indicating that the parent is unfit
  • The father fails to file a paternity claim
  • A parent of the child cannot be identified after several attempts to find him or her
  • A parent has had parental rights terminated in the last two years for another child
  • A child has been placed in an out-of-home placement, reunited with the parent, and then removed from the home again within 18 months

You may want to consider hiring a family attorney to assist you in this process. Your attorney can file all of the necessary motions on your behalf and can appear in court alongside you to make all of the necessary legal arguments.

You can contact the Arizona State Bar for a referral to a family lawyer in your area.

The phone number is:

***-***-****

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!