Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My sister is trying to find a good lawyer in my area because…

Customer Question
My sister is trying...

My sister is trying to find a good lawyer in my area because it will be a pretty hard case of child custody. She is just so not sure how to go about this and a little scared for the kids.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No. There is an investigation going on due to child molestation from the dad and she thought there was a protective order against him but they told her that she needs to go to court to get a protective order.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texas

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/27/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your sister's situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

If the father of the children has not yet been arrested, then a protective order might not have been automatically issued.

Your sister needs to go into the Clerk's Office at her local county courthouse and request the forms for an emergency protective injunction.

This will ensure that she does not have to allow visitation, and that the father cannot come near the children, their school, or their home.

With regards ***** ***** she will need to file a separate Motion for Sole Physical and Legal Custody. This will initiate the legal process for getting her full custody of her children.

Your sister should have the legal representation of a custody lawyer during this process, especially considering the allegations and risk to the children.

Once the judge can substantiate this matter, either through child services' report and/or through a criminal conviction, it should not be very difficult for your sister to receive sole custody.

With regards ***** ***** a reputable lawyer, she can contact the Texas State Bar and ask for a referral to a custody lawyer in her area.

The phone number is:

***-***-****

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Thank you so much for the information.
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!