Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I reside in Pinal County in Arizona. I have children with my…

Customer Question
I reside in Pinal...

I reside in Pinal County in Arizona. I have children with my boyfriend that has recently left the home. I dont know where to start with Child Support or filing for Legal and physical custody.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in AZ family court?

I have not done anything yet. this is my reason for asking, to see where to start

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

I have not

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 28 days ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 28 days ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 28 days ago

In order to obtain child support payments, you'll need to file a Request for Child Support with your local county court.

If you go into the Clerk's Office at the court, they should have the forms available there, and can help you with getting them filed.

With regards ***** ***** right now you have sole custody of the children since you two were not legally married.

In order to obtain shared custody or visitation rights, your ex would have to petition the court, and the court would first take steps to confirm paternity to ensure that he had legal standing.

You can also initiate that process by filing a Motion for Sole Physical and Legal Custody.

When considering custody, the court uses the best interest of the child standard.

Here's a link to all the factors the court takes into consideration under that standard:

https://www.azleg.gov/ars/25/00403.htm

Do you have an attorney representing you in this process? If not, you may want to consider hiring one.

You can contact the Arizona State Bar for a referral to a family lawyer in your area.

The phone number is:

***-***-****

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones