Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Another California family law question. My ex and I went to…

Hi there, another California family...
Hi there, another California family law question. My ex and I went to mediation yesterday and last night I received a summary of our agreements and was told I had to sign the agreement by today by noon or else we would go to court. I did agree with the summary but there are typos referring to dates in 2018 as 2017 and there are holidays and school breaks that need to be clarified. Is there any legal reason why I was given so little time to
Sign and return the form? The court date is Wednesday April 4 and I know my ex is trying to avoid going to court but without clarification I’m afraid we will have misunderstandings in the future.This is in Marin county.
3/27/2018
jb156200
jb156200, Lawyer

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

There is no rush to sign the agreement. You may take as much time as you need. Even if in the end you need to go to court, the April 4 hearing date may be rescheduled so that you and your ex have time to attempt to settle everything without the necessity of the hearing. Your ex may feel pressure of the April 4 date but like I said, it can always be rescheduled.

Has this information been helpful?

jb156200
jb156200, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
The mediator made the corrections and fixed typos and he signed and I was ready to sign but then....After the mediation my 12 year old daughter came home from her dads and did that he grilled her and shamed her for 3 hours about the things I said she said in mediation. My daughter is begging to speak to the judge or mediator herself. So I sent a note about this to the mediator and cc’d my ex. He also sent her information but did not cc me. Consequently the mediator said she will NOT be writing a recommending report and explained why. She said our appearances are necessary for Wednesday morning. I have been trying but I can’t get a lawyer to represent me that quickly. You told me I could postpone the court date and someone else also said I could request for it to be postponed due to “ new and different information”.... is there s certain form I can use for this or should I just show up for court ( he has a lawyer and I don’t ) and try to plead my case?Or would they accept the agreement today with my signature ? ( court is Wednesday) .... I am tempted just to sign it now because I am so scared of not having a lawyer ( and I can’t afford one )

Ok you have a couple of options. First, you may sign the agreement today, but only if you feel comfortable with the agreement, not because you are scared. Second, contact the clerk's office and tell them you are representing yourself and you need a Motion for Continuance. They may have a form for you to complete or at least be people to direct you to the person to speak to in order to have the hearing postponed.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Just wanted you to know I was asking that question for a friend and she signed the agreement and everything was fine. You helped us tremendously because we would never have realized that she could sign the agreement that late after saying that she was hesitant. She did not have to go to court and she and her daughter are really happy because the new parenting plan is not perfect but way better than the old one.
jb156200
jb156200
jb156200, Lawyer